Saturday, March 19, 2011

Check your steel rims



I got a '97 Prizm I bought from a pal from work and I gave to my gf to use as a daily.



I noted that 2 of the stock steel rims were bent and out of whack. No big deal just got some junkyard replacements.



I go to take the originals off the back and both are frozen solid to the axles. I got the passenger side off by prying with a large 2x4. The driver side wouldn't budge.



Never had a wheel so stuck before, the lug-nuts-halfway-off-and-drive-around trick didn't even work. I managed to drive the entire block with the lugs nuts half off. It was the damn will of Hercules himself.



Finally got pissed and did 25mph spin around the turn around at the end of my block. Finally made a loud pop. Re-torqued the nuts and got it back to the driveway.





Anyways, for anyone reading. If you got those crappy steel rims still make sure they don't stick. My gf can change a spare but think she'd definitely be stranded if she had to deal with this. I slathered all four with antisieze.



Happy motoring

Reply 1 : Check your steel rims



sledge hammer and a block of wood can also work.

Reply 2 : Check your steel rims



My fave is sit on your butt and kick a spot with both legs.



Want to make sure it doesnt happen again? Wire brush the hub center surfaces and use some nev-r-seize on it.



-SP

No comments:

Post a Comment