Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I need advise on towing please.



Hello,

I have a 2002 SR5, 3.4 v6. We have had a pop up for a while. We are planning on selling it and moving to an exspandable travel trailer. Originally I was going to go 19foot, at GVWR 4950 fully loaded, but the decided I dont want to push the 4runner to its max. So now I'm looking at a Jayco Jay Feather 17Z, which is GVWR 3500 loaded. That will be 1500lbs under the capacity of 5000lbs. Does anyone think I will still be alright towing this camper with only a 3.4? It will have breaks on the camper and I will be using a weight distibution hitch and sway bars. Also does the towing package for the 3rd generations include a trans cooler? Please give me your thoughts. Much appreciated. Jason from PA

Reply 1 : I need advise on towing please.



02sr5.



If it is Toyota installed it should have a tranny cooler on it. If it does not then it would be after market. If it does not have one I would install one before towing to save that tranny. I would not push the 3.4 to the limit but 3500lbs would not be too bad for it. My landcruiser says it will tow 5000lbs but it struggles with 2000lbs. The 3.4 might be able to tow 5000lbs on paper but my thought is always tow about half of what the book says. That way the rig won't struggle up hills and will maintain speed easy on the freeway. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment