Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TSB's and new truck



Looking to buy a Tacoma double cab TRD, and found one that has everything that I am looking for. I know that there are 2 existing TSB's for this truck, so I told the dealer that before I sign over the check I would like these to be scheduled to be taken care of.



He begins to tell me that there are no recalls on the truck. I stated that I know that there are no recalls, but there are 2 TSB's...and I would like them to be taken care of. He then states that I do not know if I need them...then I state that he does not know that I don't need them.



I tried to explain that I do not want to have to bring the truck back down the road when it is something that can be taken care of right now. I continue to get a few more explanations of how it is not needed, and just drive it awhile and then see if you need it.



I tow, I haul things...so the spring issue is a given. Performing a flash on the ECU for the trans is a simple thing...but the dealership is just being difficult. Is this just a preview of how things will be for the future as far as service if I pull the trigger on this?

Reply 1 : TSB's and new truck



I can see where both sides are coming from on this. Go to another dealer. See if they will work with you.

Reply 2 : TSB's and new truck



Welcome to TN BTW

Reply 3 : TSB's and new truck



the dude is right. tsb's mean NOTHING. they can't do something for you if you don't have a problem. and you don't know if you have the problem until you drive it, period. that's why it isn't a recall. a tsb is only a tool to help the technician diagnose a problem.

Reply 4 : TSB's and new truck



I wonder how upset the service managers get when people come in demanding TSB's.

Reply 5 : TSB's and new truck




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dark_Taco
View Post

I wonder how upset the service managers get when people come in demanding TSB's.



it's annoying....



ask me how i know.

Reply 6 : TSB's and new truck




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dark_Taco
View Post

I wonder how upset the service managers get when people come in demanding TSB's.



I'm sure it's something that pisses them off. Since most people seem to think that TSB = Recall. Whereas a TSB is really just a slightly common problem that a certain make and model car/truck can have. If you want to get TSB work done, you can't say "TSB". You have to describe the symptoms that match the bulletin. It's something like a poker game.

Reply 7 : TSB's and new truck



Ask the salesman to include the 2 TSB's in the contract. Then he can argue with the service department if he wants the sale.

Reply 8 : TSB's and new truck




Quote:








Originally Posted by 6shooter
View Post

it's annoying....



ask me how i know.




Quote:








Originally Posted by NOhara24
View Post

I'm sure it's something that pisses them off. Since most people seem to think that TSB = Recall. Whereas a TSB is really just a slightly common problem that a certain make and model car/truck can have. If you want to get TSB work done, you can't say "TSB". You have to describe the symptoms that match the bulletin. It's something like a poker game.



It's gotta be annoying dealing with someone who is looking to get something for free simple cuz they heard about it online. However, if there is a real concern and your in warranty your in titled to the fix. Don't all the Canadian Tacomas come with the TSB springs?

Reply 9 : TSB's and new truck




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dark_Taco
View Post

Don't all the Canadian Tacomas come with the TSB springs?



Yeah i believe so. They get ALL the good stuff. 4-leaf packs, heavy(er) duty alternator, block warmer.



Crazy Canucks.

Reply 10 : TSB's and new truck



I think the dealer gave the correct answer, since the internet and forums the OP and lots of others thinks every TSB is a reason to demand even if it isn't an issue, and since it hasn't even arrived yet...............



There are likely thousands and thousands of owners that tow all the time and have no issues with the stock springs.

Reply 11 : TSB's and new truck




Quote:








Originally Posted by worthywads
View Post

I think the dealer gave the correct answer, since the internet and forums the OP and lots of others thinks every TSB is a reason to demand even if it isn't an issue, and since it hasn't even arrived yet...............



There are likely thousands and thousands of owners that tow all the time and have no issues with the stock springs.



I am sure service managers curse the internet everyday because of that!



I think a small minority actually need the TSB's due to the way they use their trucks. Like you said the majority want them done because they see someone else on the forum have it done.



I for one am glad the internet exists, because I genuinely had the bottoming out problem and was grateful to find out that there was a solution to the problem.

Reply 12 : TSB's and new truck



The biggest issue is the dealer being reimbursed by Toyota for the TSB parts and labor. I have a friend who is a service manager at the dealer near me and we are slowly going through the list of every TSB available for my truck but he can only do so much over a certain time period because Toyota can question any TSB request.



OP, my best advice is buy the truck, then in a month or so after you have put over 1000 miles on it so they can't blame the break-in period go in and make one of the complaints that a TSB covers, they won't be able to turn you away then.

Reply 13 : TSB's and new truck



The dealer gets reimbursed only if they can say that it's a valid warranty claim. It's a lot harder to say that if the vehicle hasn't been sold or only has a few miles on it. Like was stated before, TSB's are known solutions to common problems, but the vehicle has to exhibit the problem before it can become warranty repair work. The dealer doesn't want to eat the cost of the parts and labor if Toyota denies the claim.



I agree with the idea of going back after a couple thousand miles. And then, talk about problems and not TSB's.

Reply 14 : TSB's and new truck



I agree. So the OP should get in writing that if he exhibits the "known" issues after 5,000 miles. The dealer will do the work no questions asked. That way both sides are covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment